Friday, September 7, 2012

FRIDAY FOCUS - Diffusers

Happy Friday to you all!  For today's Friday Focus, my product of choice is Sizzix Diffusers by Tim Holtz.  This is my first attempt at these clever little plates, which are used in place of one cutting pad, as each piece in the set has the same thickness as a cutting pad.  I love these and if you don't have the set, really you need them!  As I was working on one project, I wandered off to another and still had more ideas, but ran out of time.  Along with the Diffusers, Linda is putting all of the Texture Fades embossing folders on sale for an additional 15% off (her already discounted price for Ranger products), so now is the time to stock up on what you don't have!  Here we go!  Just sandwich the embossing the folder as you always do, replacing one pad with the diffuser.
First I opened up the package and laid it down to take a look and work up an idea or two.  Remember, I never have a plan!  Then I looked and thought that the opening surely makes a great masking template.  You can use also use the cutouts to emboss and I will give you a quick look at that further down. 
I looked at my stamps and decided to go with Tim's men and the newer Riveted Metal Texture Fade.  I used a makeup pad to apply Antique Linen to the center and then stamped the men in Archival Coffee.  Once head set, I placed the oval cut out over the gentlemen and then inked the outer edge with Frayed Burlap and now the fun begins!


The inked and stamped card stock was placed in the folder and then I added the diffuser over the top.  I use tape often to avoid slippage!  Opened Tab 2 on the Multipurpose Platform, laid this diffuser down with the embossing folder and cutting pad on top and and it through.  Remember the diffusers are used in place of the second cutting pad.   I inked additional color on the embossed area and then added clear embossing powder.  Made a little frame and finished it off with some mini gears and pen nibs.

For this tag, I diffused an area and then stamped the butterflies with Archival Sepia as well as the background.  The raised areas were highlighted with Tattered Rose.

The Halloween tag was embossed just in the center using the little circle, as all I wanted was just one good size spider web to house my spider that was cut from black chipboard and embossed!  The tag was inked with Rusty Hinge to tone down the orange.
Fun stuff, so pick up some of those diffusers and if you have not used them, give it a try!  Hope you enjoyed this week's Friday Focus and have a wonderful weekend!



11 comments:

  1. You are so right, these are a definite must have. I saw a video where TH briefly demoed these but I wasn't sure. Your demo is fantastic and these are now on my ever increasing wish list - thank you for your great tutorial! Crafty hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Terry!! I love the projects and the great instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terry, thank you! I really REALLY needed this tute. I bought these but forgot how to use them. Love your idea to use the plates as masks! And also using just a portion of the cracked folder for your web = brilliant. You have inspired me to pull those diffusers out and give them a go... your card and tag and tips are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Terry! Such gorgeous projects, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So awesome!!! I love these...I need to use them more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Friday Focus... so many ways to use the diffusers - yet another thing I "need"!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic tutorial Terry ! I've not got any of these, but they are certainly on my list now !
    Sue C
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! I have the diffusers and not good at them at all, but this gives me a real good idea for a swap i need to get done! Thank you so much for your inspiration and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The diffusers are just the coolest tools - love all the ways you can use them. This was a terrific StepxStep Terry. It was so great learning how to use them and your pieces came out fabulous. I think that spider web ROCKS! Great work here - thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are clearly a must. Thanks Terry. You've just made some shopping decisions so much easier (which is a godsend for a ditherer!!!) Hugs, Buttons x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for such a terrific post about Tim's Diffusers plates from Sizzix. I will keep my eyes out for these. Love those tags!

    ReplyDelete